Friday 20 February 2009

After denying the fad of blogging for quite sometime, I've finally followed the advice of my parents as well as following in the foot steps of my friend Laura Palmieri and succumbed to starting and possibly updating a blog of my own. After a semester abroad in the United Kingdom, I decided to pursue a life here in Manchester. Feeling that North Carolina had taken me about as far as it possibly could, I felt a relocation was necessary and would be good for me. I settled on Manchester because during my previous semester in the land of beans and brew for breakfast, I met a wonderful young woman named Cheranne who made me happier than I have been in quite some time. Nearly two months after returning to home a lot has happened. Needless to say, my decision to depart again for the UK caused quite a stir. My parents were initially very upset with my sudden turn around and plans for a return. My friends were all a bit confused but for the most part supportive. I arrived in mid January and while things got off to a bit of a rocky start at the airport, I soon got settled in and began looking forward to the new possibilities life in Manchester would offer.

I started off staying with Cheranne, we soon realized that such a tight space was not going to be good for our relationship so I found other accommodations with my friend Lance. After a week it was time to relocate once again and my friends from the far east, Bing, Darren, Harold and Leon took me into their home where I am now living. All the while I've been searching for a job to get some income rolling in so that I may start looking into some passions of mine while I'm here. I've been very lucky to have the support of amazing people that are quickly becoming very close friends. Sad to say Cheranne and I are no longer together and while I could go on at great lengths about this subject, the purpose of this blog is not to spill my guts about that sore spot in my heart, I mention it only to keep all up to date.

On the bright side, I'm meeting new people and have two viable and seemingly lucrative job options. One is at the catering agency Berkely Scott where I start tomorrow as a waiter at Manchester United's football stadium Old Trafford. I look forward to learning more about the ins and outs of 'real football' while making a living as well. I am becoming passionate about the sport and look forward to having it become a larger part of my life both playing and observing. The second opportunity for employment is at the Manchester Evening New Arena, which is Manchester's large arena that hosts various headlining concerts as well as other performing acts that roll through North England. If all goes well, I will be working both jobs and not only making good money, but picking up various tips and tools of these two interesting trades. 

As most of you know, my biggest passion in this world is music, playing, listening, watching etc. Music in any form interests me and there is something inborn that makes music so exciting to me. Manchester is a great city for music and I fully intend to explore and take advantage of everything the city has to offer in terms of music. I have discovered that music journalism is a possible path for my future that would be satisfying creatively and make me infinitely happy while hopefully be a good means for income. This is seeming like a great city to cultivate the skill of music journalism and I hope that it is something that I can continue for many years to come. In terms of playing, being without my drums for over a month has made things all the more difficult. My good friend Gary who is a guitarist did some research and found a studio that rents studio space and can provide a full set of drums at a reasonable rental price. Renting some time at this studio has become a fairly large desire and I can't wait to not only start playing drums again to hop in the saddle and play music with others again. I'm hoping that making music can help fill a void in my life that has grown as a result of Cheranne's departure.

That seems to bring things up to date for now so I may take off until I am inspired or prodded to write something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment